The First Major Project at the Muni in Nearly 60 Years is now complete!
- Design elements were introduced to mimic the “Golden Era” of course architecture, similar to the work of famed architect, Seth Raynor, whose work can be seen down the road at Country Club of Charleston and Yeaman’s Hall Club, both of which were also constructed in the 1920’s.
- Greens were rebuilt to modern day standards using TifEagle Bermudagrass. Greens were enlarged and contours added to mimic template holes such as: Eden, Punchbowl, Biarritz, Alps, Redan, Road, and more.
- Vistas were opened along the Stono River to allow for beautiful scenery throughout much of the back 9.
- Ponds and wetlands were created with the material being used to raise areas on the back 9 that were previously plagued with drainage problems.
- Bunkers were rebuilt and relocated to address modern day play.
- A short game practice facility has been completed in the area between the #8 and #9 fairways, to accommodate daily short game practice and more programming for Junior and adult instruction.
- Work began in January, 2020 and concluded in September, 2020.
- The course officially reopened on December 9, 2020 following 3 months of grow-in after final planting.
“An historic course, in an historic city.
Charleston was the birth place of golf in America.”
— Mayor John Tecklenburg